Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Lexophiles

I just got a new word to be added to my dictionary today. The word is Lexophilia. I love this world, we will never run out of things to learn every single day.

According to Wikipedia, the source of all source, Lexophilia is the love of words. The term, a neologism and unofficial word of the English language, derives from two Greek words – lexis, a derivative of the Greek logos meaning "word," and philia, meaning "friendship" or "fondness." Lexophiles, lovers of words, derive pleasure from amassing a complex, variegated, and broad vocabulary. Although not all lexophiles use their vocabulary in everyday speech, most lexophiles pride themselves in their knowledge of synonyms, antonyms, homophones, and homonyms. Lexophiles generally appreciate the nuances surrounding different words, and they normally strive to select the best word for a given circumstance. So, I found this list of some kind of a word play of Lexophiles. Here it is...
1. A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
2. A will is a dead giveaway.
3. Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
4. A backward poet writes inverse.
5. In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.
6. A chicken crossing the road: poultry in motion.
7. If you don't pay your exorcist you can get repossessed.
8. With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.
9. Show me a piano falling down a mine shaft and I'll show you A-flat miner.
10. When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.


11. The guy who fell onto an upholstery machine was fully recovered.
12. A grenade fell onto a kitchen floor in France resulted in Linoleum Blownapart.
13. You are stuck with your debt if you can't budge it.
14. Local Area Network in Australia : The LAN down under.
15. He broke into song because he couldn't find the key.
16. A calendar's days are numbered.
17. A lot of money is tainted: 'Taint yours, and 'taint mine.
18. A boiled egg is hard to beat.
19. He had a photographic memory which was never developed.
20. A plateau is a high form of flattery.
(source from bouldertherapist.com)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's neat! I'm definitely a lexophile. I love word play!

boya arsila said...

Hello the Rain the Lexophile=) Let me know if you have made your own word play..I will post in here in my blog=)

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh I do that all the time, but to be honest, sometimes it's just because I'm distracted, then I realize what I've just said and it's hillarious. I'll try to write them down when I blunder from now on!

boya arsila said...

You better write it down so that when you feel a bit down, you can look up your words journal and put a smile on your face and my face too=)

Anonymous said...

I actually did one without thinking yesterday. I was on Lucy's blog and she was mentioning killing her tomato plant, so I wrote" R.I.P. Mrs. Tomato, may she rest in pieces. :-)

boya arsila said...

ha ha ha..that's so funny=)